Wisdom is Speaking, But Are You Listening
By Evangelist Sophia Jeffries
The Book of Proverbs is considered the book of Wisdom. Which means “the ability to live life skillfully”. In chapter 1 it talks about the fear of the Lord is beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction (1:7). Then in chapter 2 speaks about the value of Wisdom and this Wisdom can only come from God (Proverbs 2:6). King Solomon is the writer of most of this Book and he was named the wisest man on earth until Jesus Christ appeared. He penned these words as a blueprint for us to live by. Proverbs are laid out principles that God gave us that if we follow them our lives will be blessed and peaceful, to say the least. So, in chapter 3 it talks about guidance for the young and old alike because God is speaking, but are we listening? So, I would like for us to focus on the first seven verses in this study today.
1. Wisdom says it’s about the Heart posture, not Head posture! Verse 1 says, “My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart,”
This is where God wants all His children to be submissive to Him. A submissive heart will cause you to obey God and His Word. See as parents, we want our children to submit to our authority and to obey us as well. So, God requires us to do the same. He says, “Don’t forget my teaching” which is His word! Most of the time it is the forgetfulness of the heart more than the mind and our memory. God knew that, so He had Moses to tell us in Deuteronomy 8:11 which says, 11 “Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God by not keeping His commandments, His judgments, and His statutes which I command you today,’. See it’s more than just forgetting in the mind, in which we can do that from time to time, but God is more concerned that we NEVER forget Him in our Hearts! God wants believers to obey Him with their whole heart and not just with our mouths and our minds.
Can you comply with God’s command and still be in sin? If so explain?
Isaiah 1:19 “If you are willing and obedient, You shall eat the good of the land;”
…. Wisdom is speaking, but are YOU listening?
2. Wisdom says, our obedience to God clears the pathway for the Blessing of peace and longevity to flow. Verse 2 (NIV) says, “for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity.” God wants His children to have a long full life of peace and wellbeing, but it will not be possible if you don’t heed and listen to His teachings. Proverbs 3:16 (NKJV) says, “Length of days is in her right hand, In her left hand riches and honor.” Proverbs 10:27 (NIV) also says, “The fear of the Lord adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short.” So, in general, those who obey God live longer and have more peace in their lives more so than those that don’t. Honor your Father and your Mother, so that your days maybe long!
Can you think of a time in your life where you were not at peace with God? If so, why or why not and what was going on in your life?
Job 22:21-22 “Come to terms with God and be at peace; in this way[a] good will come to you. 22 Receive instruction from his mouth, and place his sayings in your heart”.
…...Wisdom is speaking, but are YOU listening???
3. Wisdom says, our outward behavior and actions should be a direct reflection of the conviction of what we are living! Verse 3 in the Amplified version gives greater insight into this. It says, “Let not mercy and kindness [shutting out all hatred and selfishness] and truth [shutting out all deliberate hypocrisy or falsehood] forsake you; bind them about your neck, write them upon the tablet of your heart.” Some translations say mercy and truth while others say love and faithfulness. God is love and His love shows mercy toward us. God is the truth and He will always be faithful to us even at times when we are not! This should be our outward fruit as Christians because this is who God is! Bind them around your neck- how you treat other people… write them on the tablet of your heart (Spirit Man), he drives your thinking, attitude, actions, and behavior. Colossians 3:9-12, says “ 9 Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. 10 Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. 11 In this new life, it doesn’t matter if you are a Jew or a Gentile,[a] circumcised or uncircumcised, barbaric, uncivilized,[b] slave, or free. Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
Does our society today reflect the conviction of our hearts and how we live and what we say we believe?
Isaiah 29:13 13 The Lord says, “These people worship me only with their words. They honor me by what they say. But their hearts are far away from me. Their worship doesn’t mean anything to me. They teach nothing but human rules that they have been taught.
……. Wisdom is speaking, but are You listening??
4. Godly Wisdom puts you in a position to receive from God! Verse 4 says, “And so find favor and [a]high esteem In the sight of God and man. When we honor God by keeping His commands in our hearts and obeying them, God will honor us by giving us His favor upon our lives. We can receive His wisdom which gives us favor with Him and in the sight of men. Luke 2:52 shows us this with Jesus as well. It says, “52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men. God can elevate you despite your situation and circumstance.
Can you think of a time in your life where you had an “only God moment”? What was it and how did you feel?
Proverbs 8:35 “35 For whoever finds me [Wisdom] finds life and draws forth and obtains favor from the Lord.”
........Wisdom is speaking, but are you listening?
5. Wisdom says, this is “Heart Work” and can only happen through a relationship with God. The Amplified version makes it plan that this comes over a while, through experiences and a relationship can be built. Verses 5 & 6 says, “5 Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. 6 In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths. This starts with spending time with God in the Word and in the prayer which forms our relationship with Him.
You must get the Word of God in your mind and then in your heart (write it on the tablet of your heart through meditation) so that you can receive His Wisdom. God tells us how to write His teaching on the tablet of our hearts and it’s found in the Book of Joshua. Joshua 1:8 (APMC) gives us the blueprint for success and to receive Wisdom from God. It says, “ 8 This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good [a]success.” If our ears are to stay in tune with God, then we can hear Wisdom speaking to us, but we must listen!
What are some reasons why we don’t give God our heart’s completely?
Hebrews 3:15 15 As it is said: Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.
........Wisdom is speaking, but are you listening?
Compare and Contrast – To Seek and Not to Seek!!
I know that relationships are built through tests and trials and God gives us a perfect example of this in the book of Joshua as well. Because Joshua spent time in the word of God through meditation he was able to have intimacy with God and be in a position to receive Wisdom when he needed it the most.
In Joshua 5:13-15 (NKJV), Wisdom is speaking, and it says,
13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, “Are You for us or our adversaries?”
14 So He said, “No, but as Commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.”
And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped, and said to Him, “What does my Lord say to His servant?”
15 Then the Commander of the Lord’s army said to Joshua, “Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is holy.” And Joshua did so.
We worship God because we are in a relationship with Him and Joshua demonstrated just that and was able to receive. Godly wisdom, when heard and heeded can bring about the impossible even when it doesn’t make sense, but it takes faith! So, let’s look at Chapter 6:1-6, 7 & 20….
The Destruction of Jericho…...
Wisdom from His Mouth…. Verse 2
The Presence of God…. Verse 6 & 7
Obedience Brought the Victory…. Verse 20
Not to Seek….Wisdom says Disaster will come just as fast as success can come if you fail to seek God and move ahead of Him! Proverbs 3:7 says, 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. James said if any man lacks wisdom, ask God and He will give it to you liberally without reproach! But when you don’t ask you are doom to fail! Now, Joshua in Chapter 7, he failed to seek God for a battle plan against Ai and paid the price for it dearly! Wisdom says in verses 1-12.
….Wisdom is speaking but are YOU listening??
Dare to Do Different!!!
What can you do this week to get God’s perspective on an issue that you are currently facing like Joshua did or like the writer of Proverbs suggest?
Isaiah 30:21 21 And your ears will hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way; walk in it, when you turn to the right hand and when you turn to the left.
About the Author
Evangelist Sophia Jeffrie
Evangelist Sophia Jeffrie is an ordained Reverend and called Evangelist into the Gospel Ministry where she serves the Lord with her whole heart! Evangelist Jeffrie is a retired Chief Petty Officer from the United States Navy, where she led, guided, trained, and ministered to thousands of Sailors throughout her career. God placed in her an assignment where He has positioned and trusted her with guiding His most troubled and vulnerable youth. It was there the Lord revealed His true purpose for her life and birthed in her the vision and purpose for what is now “Wisdom Truths”, a life changing personal growth and development workshop designed to enhance the overall social and spiritual growth of At-Risk Youth. Evangelist Jeffrie has allowed God to use her as He heals and transform lives by ministering the Gospel of Jesus Christ on a larger scale! Her message of love and purpose is relatable to those from all walks of life and will certainly serve as a blessing to you as well. Evangelist Jeffrie received a Master of Art Degree in Ministry from Luther Rice College & Seminary in 2018. She has two sons, a stepson and two stepdaughters, and has nine grandchildren.