Revelation Study Guide/Homework
(Some information in this study guide was taken from the Tyndale Life Application Study Bible the rest was done by Pastor Shana Wise)
Chapter 11 (Judgement on earth continued)
· The Two Witness (verses 1-14)
· John is instructed to measure the Temple of God in Jerusalem
· Two Prophets=Two Olive Trees and Two Lamb Stands
· Two witness given power: 1) consume their enemy by fire with their mouths 2) shut the sky so no rain will fall 3) turn rivers into blood 4) send every type of plague on the earth that they wish
· The Beast will declare war against them, conquer and kill them. The world will celebrate their deaths. Their bodies will lay in the streets for three days then Jesus will call them from heaven. Their bodies will be brought back to life and they will be taken to heaven
· A terrible earthquake happened that day and 1/10 of the city was destroyed and 7,000 people died
1. The two witnesses are believed to be Enoch, Elijah, and/or possibly Moses. Why do you think they would be one of the witnesses?
2. In what way do we as believers have the same power as these two witnesses?
3. What similarities does this passage of scripture have with other scriptures in the bible?
· The Seventh Trumpet Brings the Third Terror (verse 15-19)
· The seventh angel blows the trumpet
· Memory verse: Rev. 11:15 (NIV) The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said: “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign for ever and ever.”
· 24 elders worship God
· In heaven- the Temple of God was opened and the Ark of his covenant could be seen inside the Temple. Lightening flashed, thunder crashed roared there was a great hailstorm, and the world was shaken by a might earthquake. (verse 19)
· Read Revelation 11:16-18 (elders worshipping God). How does the 24 elders in heaven worship compare with your worship of God? What does this scripture mean to you?
· The Woman and the Dragon
· This chapter is a description the conflict between God and Satan.
· Verses 1-2 represents God’s faithful people who have been waiting for the Messiah. The crown of the 12 stars represent the 12 tribes of Israel.
· The large Red Dragon=Satan. The seven heads, ten horns, and seven crowns represents his power and kingdoms of the world that he rules over. The stars plunged to earth with him represents the who fell with him (verse 3-4)
· The wilderness represents a place of spiritual refuge and protection from Satan.
· Memory verse: Rev. 12:11 (NIV) They triumphed over him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.
· Verses 13-15 represent Satan’s persecution of all those who believe in Christ
· In verse 17 the women represent the faithful Jews, and the child represent Christ. The rest of the children could be Jewish believers or all believers
· Read Rev. 12:10-13. What does that verse speak to you?
· Spiritual Warfare happens in the heavenly realm then manifests in earth. God loves his children and protects them. How can you relate this passage of scripture with your personal life?
· The Beast out of the Sea (verses 1-9)
· The Beast of the Sea=Antichrist someone under Satan’s control also=counterfeit Christ. This being is totally against Jesus Christ (vs. 1).
· Unholy Trinity: Red Dragon=Satan (chapter 12), Beast of the Sea=Antichrist (Political Power), Beast of the Earth=False Prophet (power to do miracles). They unite to try to overthrow God-but it does not work
· Verses 3-4 The beast of the sea stages a false resurrection and many people of the earth follow and worship it.
· Verses 5-9 The beast speaks blasphemy against God and all those in heaven with him, and he was given authority to do whatever he wants for 42 months. He will persecute and even kill God’s people, and he will rule over nations of the earth. The ones who worshipped the beast names were not found in the book of life.
· Memory verse: Rev. 13:9 (NIV) Whoever has ears, let them hear.
· Rev. 13:10 “If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity they will go. If anyone is to be killed with the sword, with the sword they will be killed.” This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of God’s people. The Antichrist wants to destroy God’s people. Yet we can rest in the fact that our body can be destroyed, but our spirit cannot. If we remain faithful to God under persecution we will be rewarded with eternal life because of our faith. What areas of your life do you feel you need more enduring faith in? What promises of God are you believing in?
· (Chapter 13 continued)
· The Beast out of the Earth (verse 11-18)
· The beast of the earth=counterfeit Holy Spirit (false prophet)
· He encourages everyone of the earth to worship the first beast (anti-Christ)
· He deceived people with miracles he performed
· He had the people of the earth make a statue of the first beast and was permitted to give life to the statue so that it could speak. The statue commanded that anyone who didn’t worship it must die. Everyone was required to take the mark of the beast which is 666. If person did not take the mark they could not buy or sell anything.
· How can we make sure we are not deceived by Satan, the Antichrist, and the False Prophet?
· What your relationship with the True and Divine Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit)?
· The Lamb and the 144,000
· John saw the Lamb standing on Mt Zion with the 144,000 and the Father’s name was written on their foreheads
· They sang a heavenly song that no one else could sing but them
· The 144,000 (Israelites) represented the ones who endured the persecution on earth (Rev 7:14).
· We also have a song that the angels in heaven cannot sing, because we were purchased with Christ Blood. If you had a song to sing about your salvation, what would it be (your testimony)?
· The Three Angels
· John saw angels flying through the heavens
· 1st Angel=Pleads to the people of the earth to recognized the only true God or face His judgement (eternal separation from Him)
· 2nd Angel=Announces that Babylon has fallen. Babylon represents the evil city ruling the world
· 3rd Angel=Announces judgment for those who took the mark of the beast (hell). He also encourages God’s people to remain faithful to Jesus
· Memory verse: Rev. 14:13 (NIV) Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.”
· It is important that we remain faithful to Jesus until the end. Write a prayer in response to this passage of scripture.
· The Harvest of the Earth
· Verses 14-16 is an image of judgment. Christ is separating the faithful from the unfaithful.
· The winepress represents God’s judgement and wrath against sin.