By Pastor Dr. Shana Wise
The Story of Abraham
Week 5 Read Genesis 12-14
Chapter 12 Main Points
1) Abram left his father’s house at God’s command. His family ended up settling in the land of Cannon.
2) There was a famine in the land and Abram, his wife Sarai, and his family went to Egypt. Abram lied to Pharaoh about his marriage to Sarai.
· Now the Lord had said to Abram: “Get out of your country, From your family And from your father’s house, To a land that I will show you. 2 I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” 4 So Abram departed as the Lord had spoken to him, and Lot went with him. And Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.
· Has God ever told you to do something that didn’t make sense and you obeyed immediately? What blessing and or promise did you receive from it?
· Have you ever lied for selfish motives? What were the results?
Chapter 13 Main Points
1) Abram and Lot separate due to an increase in both their herds.
· Other facts: Lot settled near Sodom, a wicked city. Abram built an altar in response to God’s promise (Gen.13:14-18).
· An altar represents a place of worship and reverence. When was the last time you worshipped God because of who He is?
Chapter 14 Main Points
1) Lot and his family were captured during the war. Abram rescues Lot and has victory over King Kedorlaomer and his allies.
2) Abram gives a tenth of the goods he recovered from the battle. Melchizedek blesses Abram.
· Abram chose to bless the high priest with an offering after his victory. When was the last time you blessed God with your finances? Why is it important to give unto the Lord?
Week 6 Read Genesis 15-17
Chapter 15 Main Points
1) God makes a covenant with Abram.
· As you read chapter fifteen, what hope does it give you?
Chapter 16 Main Points
1) Abram's son with Sarai’s servant Hagar is born and his name is Ishmael.
· What happens when we try to help God out with his plan for us? What lesson can we learn from this chapter?
Chapter 17 Main Points
1) Abram's name is changed to Abraham. Sarai's name is changed to Sarah.
· What was the significance of the changing of Abram and Sarai's names? How have you changed since you gave your life to Christ? What promises has God made you that have not come to pass yet? What promises have you received so far?
Week 7 Read Genesis 18-20
Chapter 18 Main Points
1) The Lord and angels visit Abraham, and a son is promised to Sarah.
2) Abraham intercedes for the city of Sodom before the Lord destroys it.
· Genesis 18:10-12 10 And He said, “I will certainly return to you according to the time of life, and behold, Sarah your wife shall have a son.” (Sarah was listening in the tent door which was behind him.) 11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old, well advanced in age; and Sarah had passed the age of childbearing. 12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, “After I have grown old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?” Have you ever “laughed” at something the Lord said concerning you? For example, has God ever asked or had you do something that seemed impossible? What was your response?
· We need to know how important and effective intercessory prayer is, it can make a tremendous difference in someone else’s life. Make it your top priority to pray for someone else on a regular basis. What else can we learn about Abram’s intercession for Sodom?
Chapter 19 Main Points
1) The Lord destroys the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah because of their evil.
2) Lot and his daughters escape, and they have the offspring of the nation’s Moabites and Ammonites.
· Other facts: Lot’s wife turns into a pillar of salt. Lot’s daughter sleeps with their father (commits incest).
· Lot was hesitant to leave the city before it was destroyed, and it would have cost him and his daughters their lives. Delayed obedience is disobedience. We must make sure that we follow God’s commands immediately as our future livelihood depends on it.
Chapter 20 Main Points
1) Abraham deceives King Abimelech by telling him that Sarah was his sister.
· Abraham was a righteous man, but he also had shortcomings. Here is another instance where Abraham lied again, because of fear. We must make sure, to tell the truth at all costs. Our lies can affect us and others in a negative way. Lies also can damper our witness for God.
Week 8 Read Genesis 21-22
Chapter 21 Main Points
1) Isaac is born.
2) Hagar and Ishmael are sent away.
3) Abraham made a treaty with Abimelech
· Other facts: Isaac's name means laughter. Ishmael’s descendants became a great nation.
· We can depend on God’s promises to us. Whatever He says, it is so, and it will come to pass. What promises are you believing God for today?
Chapter 22 Main Points
1) Abraham’s obedience is tested. God asked him to offer his son Isaac as a sacrifice.
2) Abraham obeyed God. Isaac’s life was spared.
· 1 Samuel 15:22 So Samuel said: “Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams.
· A true sacrifice to God will cost you something. Sacrifice will cause you to trust God beyond your flesh, feelings, and circumstances. It will cause you to do something that will not make sense to you, but perfect sense to God.
· In God asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, was a direct reflection of Jesus Christ coming to give his life for us. God would never ask us to kill someone else, however, he will ask us to sacrifice anything that is competing with his time.
Week 9 Read Genesis 23-25
Chapter 23 Main Points
1) The death and burial of Sarah.
Chapter 24 Main Points
1) Abraham sends his servant to find a wife for Isaac.
2) Rebecca marries Isaac.
· As you read the story about how Abraham’s servant finds Rebecca, what lessons can we learn from his experience? What lessons can we learn about Rebecca’s servanthood?
About the Author
About the Author
Dr. Shana Wise is an ordained Pastor and CEO of Wise Choice Ministries (est. 2016). She is the founder of The Well Christian Women’s Network formally known as Christian Women Preachers United. Dr. Wise is the author of women’s devotionals Acts of Intercession and Chief Women Arise, The Impact of Your Election, and Basic Ministry Training Manual (all available on Amazon). She received a Doctor of Divinity degree in 2019 from St. Thomas Christian University. Her passion is to teach and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, equip others to apply the Word to their lives, and demonstrate the Word through the power of the Holy Spirit. She is a televangelist that appears on social media outlets. Shana is married to Deacon Ron Wise and is the mother of four children.
For speaking engagements email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books available on Amazon:
Acts of Intercession
The Impact of Your Election
Basic Ministry Training Manual
Chief Women Arise
LIKE Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/mrsshanawise
Follow on Instagram: www.instagram.com/wise1too
Follow on Twitter: @shanawise9
Follow on LinkedIn: Shana Wise
Subscribe to Shana Wise YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorVUiH02KsXi08T4UJMl_A
Subscribe to Wise Choice Ministries YouTube Channel
Subscribe to The Well & Women Alive YouTube Channel