Angels: God’s Servants & Heavenly Soldiers Study Guide
Study and Scriptures about Angels: God’s Servants & Heavenly Soldiers
From Spiritual Warfare Series
By Pastor Shana Wise
Definition of Angels (dictionary.com): Spirits who live in heaven with God; also the devils of hell, who are angels fallen from goodness. In the Bible(see also Bible), angels are often sent to Earth, sometimes with a human appearance, to bring the messages of God to people, to guide and protect them, or to execute God's punishments.
Angels were created in the beginning: Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Angel travel between heaven and earth: Genesis 28:12 Then he dreamed, and behold, a ladder was set up on the earth, and its top reached to heaven; and there the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.
Angels show up on the earth when major events are about to happen.
Angels play a vital part in the spiritual warfare we encounter here on earth. Let us examine their role in the bible:
Roles of Angels:
1. To Bring Warning and Judgement
· We find angels in the beginning and throughout the book of Genesis. First in the Garden in Eden.
· Genesis 3:24 So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life. God did this to make sure mankind would not return the garden. Why do you think He did this?
· Genesis 6:4. Before the flood, angels slept with human women and their offspring were giants. God had the Israelites eradicate them from the land in King David’s reign.
· Genesis 18:16-33, Genesis 19: 1-29: Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.
· Balaam and the Donkey. Angel brings a warning, judgment, and a message: Numbers Chapter 22.
· Judges 2:1-5 Angel brings a message of judgment for Israel’s disobedience.
· 2 Samuel 24:10-18. Death Angel. Judgment on King David’s action of taking a census of Israel. (1 Chronicles 21:12, 15-30)
· Mat. 13:49 So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just,
· John 12: 27-33 “Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose, I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify Your name.”
· Then a voice came from heaven, saying, “I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.”
· 29 Therefore the people who stood by and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, “An angel has spoken to Him.”
· 30 Jesus answered and said, “This voice did not come because of Me, but for your sake. 31 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.” 33 This He said, signifying by what death He would die.
· Acts 12:23 Then immediately an angel of the Lord struck him, because he did not give glory to God. And he was eaten by worms and died. (King Herod Agrippa)
· More Scriptures: Mat. 13:41, Mat. 16:27, Mat. 18:10, Mat. 24:31, Mat. 25:31, Mat. 28:2, Mark 8:38, Luke 9;26, Luke 12:8-9, Luke 15:10, Luke 16:22, Luke 20:36, Luke 24:23, John 1:51,
1) Why do you think God uses angels to bring judgment?
2) Have you ever been convicted in a way that you knew, undeniably that it was God warning you?
3) How have your blessings been denied because of disobedience?
2. To Deliver a Message from God (dreams, visions, and in-person)
· Genesis 18: 2-15. The angels visited Abraham and Sarah and told them they were going to have a child.
· Gen. 22: 11-12 But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” So, he said, “Here I am.”12 And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”
· Gen. 16:9-11 Message to Hagar.
· Read Ezekiel Chapters 2-48.
· Read the book of Zechariah.
· Matthew 1:18-24 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother, Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”24 Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, (Also read Mat. 2:13,19).
1) Why do you think God uses dreams and visions to communicate with us through his angels?
2) Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. Have you ever encountered an angel in human or spiritual form? What was that experience like?
3. To Fight for Us
· 2 Kings 19:35 That night the angel of the Lord went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning—there were all the dead bodies! (King Hezekiah) (2 Chronicles 32:21)
· Daniel 6:22 My God sent His angel and shut the lions’ mouths so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent before Him; and also, O king, I have done no wrong before you.”
· Acts 5:19 But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said, 20 “Go, stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this life.”
· Acts 12:7 (Read 7-11) Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, “Arise quickly!” And his chains fell off his hands.
· Hebrews 1:14 Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
1) Have you ever been in a situation that God supernaturally delivered or fought for you?
4. To Praise, Worship, and Serve God in Heaven and Earth
· Luke 15:10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
· Psalms 103:20 Praise the LORD, you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word.
· Ezekiel Chapter 1. A vision of the Living Being
· Luke 2: 13-14 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:14 “Glory to God in the highest, And earth peace, goodwill toward men!”
· Hebrews 1:6 But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: “Let all the angels of God worship Him.”
· Revelation 5:11-12 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!”
· Revelation 4:8 8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying: “ ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, ’who was, and is, and is to come.”
1) How can we learn from the angels as it relates to the praise and worship of God?
2) When was the last time you praise God when someone you knew gave their life to Christ?
3) How do you serve God on a day-to-day basis?
5. To Lead, Guide, Strengthen, Minister, and Give Instructions
· The angel of the Lord led the children of Israel in the wilderness. Ex. 23:20 “Behold, I send an Angel before you to keep you in the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. Ex. 23:23, Ex. 32:34, Ex. 33:2, Num 20:16
· Judges Chapter 6: Gideon. The angel of the Lord instructs him to go into battle.
· Judges 13:3-21. Instructions regarding Samson.
· Elijah fleeing from Jezebel’s threats. 1 Kings 19:7 And the angel of the Lord came back the second time, and touched him, and said, “Arise and eat, because the journey is too great for you.”
· 2 Kings 1:15 More instructions for Elijah.
· John 20:12 Angels speak to Mary Magdalene at the Tomb of Christ.
· Matthew 4:11 Then the devil left Him, and behold, angels came and ministered to Him.
· Mat. 28:5 But the angel answered and said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified.
· Luke 1:11-25. Zechariah's encounter with the angel regarding John the Baptist.
· Luke 1:26-38. Gabriel visits Mary to tell her about the birth of Jesus.
· Acts 8:26 Angel appears to Deacon Phillip
· Acts 10:3,7, 22 Cornelius instructions from the angel.
· Acts 27:23 Angel with Paul before the shipwreck.
1) When was the last time God gave you specific instructions and how did you follow them?
2) When was a time in your life when you were in the midst of a personal battle or had to make a major decision and the Lord gave you specific instructions?
6. God Shows Up in the Earth Through Angels
· Genesis 18: 2-15. Genesis 18:16-33. God walks and talks with Abraham concerning the birth of his child and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.
· Genesis 32:22-32. Jacob wrestles with God.
· Ex. 3:2 And the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So, he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed.
1) Have you ever been in the presence of God? Explain what it was like?
Scriptures in the Book of Psalms Concerning Angels:
Psalm 8:5 For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor.
Psalm 34:7 The angel of the Lord encamps all around those who fear Him And delivers them.
Psalm 35:5 Let them be like chaff before the wind And let the angel of the Lord chase them.
Psalm 35:6 Let their way be dark and slippery, And let the angel of the Lord pursue them.
Psalm 78:25 Men ate angels’ food; He sent them food to the full.
Psalm 78:49 He cast on them the fierceness of His anger, Wrath, indignation, and trouble, By sending angels of destruction among them.
Psalm 91:11 For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways.
Psalm 103:20 Bless the Lord, you His angels, Who excel in strength, who do His word, Heeding the voice of His word.
Psalm 104:4 Who makes His angels spirits, His ministers a flame of fire.
Psalm 148:2 Praise Him, all His angels; Praise Him, all His hosts
Scriptures Regarding the Army of the Lord:
Joshua 5:13-15 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, “Are You for us or for our adversaries?” So He said, “No, but as Commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.” And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped, and said to Him, “What does my Lord say to His servant?” Then the Commander of the Lord’s army said to Joshua, “Take your sandal off your foot, for the place where you stand is holy.” And Joshua did so.
2 Kings 6:14-18 Therefore he sent horses and chariots and a great army there, and they came by night and surrounded the city. 15 And when the servant of the man of God arose early and went out, there was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?”
16 So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” 17 And Elisha prayed, and said, “Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. 18 So when the Syrians came down to him, Elisha prayed to the Lord, and said, “Strike this people, I pray, with blindness.” And He struck them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.
1 Samuel 17:45 Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted.
1 Kings 22:19 Micaiah said, “Therefore, hear the word of the Lord. I saw the Lord sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing by Him on His right and on His left.
The Lord utters His voice before His army;
Surely His camp is very great,
For strong is he who carries out His word.
The day of the Lord is indeed great and very awesome,
And who can endure it?
The Lord of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah.
Fallen Angels Scriptures
Isaiah 14:12-14 12 How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! 13 You said in your heart, “I will ascend to the heavens; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon. 14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.”
Matthew 4:6-11 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written: “ ‘He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’ ” 7Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’” 8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.” 10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’” 11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
Genesis 6:1-4 When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.” 4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Rev. 12:4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour her child the moment he was born.
Daniel 10:13 But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia.
Jude 1:9 But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”
1 Peter 5:8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
Eph 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
John 8:44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
James 2:19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
Matthew 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
Hebrews 1:14 Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Revelation 12:9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.
Luke 10:18 He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.
Revelation 12:7-9 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. 9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.
Job 1:6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them.
Job 2:1 On another day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him.
Jude 1:6 And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.
2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment;
2 Corinthians 11:14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.
Ezekiel 28:1-24 The word of the Lord came to me again, saying, 2 “Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre, ‘Thus says the Lord God:
“Because your heart is lifted up, And you say, ‘I am a god, I sit in the seat of gods, In the midst of the seas,’ Yet you are a man, and not a god, Though you set your heart as the heart of a god 3 (Behold, you are wiser than Daniel! There is no secret that can be hidden from you! 4 With your wisdom and your understanding You have gained riches for yourself, And gathered gold and silver into your treasuries; 5 By your great wisdom in trade you have increased your riches, And your heart is lifted up because of your riches),”
6 ‘Therefore thus says the Lord God:
“Because you have set your heart as the heart of a god, 7 Behold, therefore, I will bring strangers against you, The most terrible of the nations; And they shall draw their swords against the beauty of your wisdom, And defile your splendor. 8 They shall throw you down into the Pit, And you shall die the death of the slain In the midst of the seas.
9 “Will you still say before him who slays you, ‘I am a god’? But you shall be a man, and not a god, In the hand of him who slays you. 10 You shall die the death of the uncircumcised By the hand of aliens; For I have spoken,” says the Lord God.’”
11 Moreover the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 12 “Son of man, take up a lamentation for the king of Tyre, and say to him, ‘Thus says the Lord God:
“You were the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. 13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes Was prepared for you on the day you were created.
14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. 15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, Till iniquity was found in you.
16 “By the abundance of your trading You became filled with violence within, And you sinned; Therefore I cast you as a profane thing Out of the mountain of God; And I destroyed you, O covering cherub, From the midst of the fiery stones.
17 “Your heart was [b]lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor; I cast you to the ground, I laid you before kings, That they might gaze at you.
18 “You defiled your sanctuaries By the multitude of your iniquities, By the iniquity of your trading; Therefore I brought fire from your midst; It devoured you, And I turned you to ashes upon the earth In the sight of all who saw you. 19 All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you; You have become a horror, And shall be no more forever.” ’ ”
Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”
Other Scriptures Regarding Angels
Colossians 1:16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.
Revelation 14:6 Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth—to every nation, tribe, language and people.
Revelation 5:11-12 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!”
Matthew 18:10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.
Luke 4:10 For it is written: “ ‘He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully;
John 5:4 For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had.
Hebrews 13:12 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.
Romans 8:38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,
1 Corinthians 4:9 For I think that God has displayed us, the apostles, last, as men condemned to death; for we have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men.
1 Corinthians 6:3 Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?
1 Corinthians 11:10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.
Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
Galatians 3:19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.
Colossians 2:18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
2 Thessalonians 1:7 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels,
1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.
Hebrews 2:16 For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham.
Hebrews 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels,
1 Peter 1:12 To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into.
1 Peter 3:22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.
2 Peter 2:11 whereas angels, who are greater in power and might, do not bring a reviling accusation against them before the Lord.
Read Hebrews Chapter 1-2
Read the book of Revelation. Angels are used to bring judgment; praise and worship God, and show up with Christ in the final battle.
About the Author
Dr. Shana Wise is the Pastor and CEO of Wise Choice Ministries (est. 2016), a non-profit church ministry. She is the founder of The Well Christian Women’s Network (est. 2016). Dr. Wise is the author of women’s devotional, Acts of Intercession, and The Impact of Your Election which are both available on Amazon. She received a Doctor of Divinity degree in 2019 from St. Thomas Christian University. Her passion is to teach and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, equip others to apply the Word to their lives, and demonstrate the Word through the power of the Holy Spirit. Shana is married to Ron Wise and is the mother of four children.
Books available on Amazon at:
Acts of Intercession
The Impact of Your Election
LIKE Facebook page www.facebook.com/mrsshanawise
Follow on Instagram at www.instagram.com/wise1too
Subscribe to YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorVUiH02KsXi08T4UJMl_A
Join W.C.M. Interactive Facebook group page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/723507005051862 to watch and participate with bible study. Interact with our online global community.